Wednesday, February 22, 2006

So wrong

Hmmmm...what's up with Italy? Thanks for posting this, A.

This is so wrong. A guy forced his step daughter to perform oral sex on him and received a lighter sentence than normal simply because she wasn't a virgin. He argued that her previous experience should be considered. Wwwwhhhaaaa? Since when is virginity a factor in determining the sentence for a pervert in a sexual abuse case?

And equally disturbing:
"In recent years [the Italian supreme court] has ruled that 'an isolated and impulsive' pat on a woman's buttocks at work did not constitute sexual harassment, and returned a verdict that a woman could not have been raped because she was wearing skin-tight jeans."

Right. I know that every time I wear skin-tight jeans, I'm just asking for it. And why should I mind if a co-worker pats my ass?

That would be me in a parallel universe. In this universe, here and now, I'll wear what I please and I'll promptly kick a guy in the balls if he grabs my ass. Sho' 'nuff. Let's hope that Italy gets its act together and stops taking the women's movement back to the dark ages.

3 comments:

Author said...

A teacher in a nearby city got arrested and convicted of molesting a junior high school girl for three years straight.

Got two years.

People here told me "Yeah, but the real punishment is when he gets out and is cut off from society. And he's never be able to teach again."

"No," I said. "The real punishment would be if he was castrated in a busy downtown intersection with broken beer bottle."

Blank look. Probably doesn't know what "castraded" means.

ar_kay_tee said...

I think the world would be a much better place if that was a true punishment for such crimes...

Author said...

Well, I don't actually know about that; I was using hyperboly (sp?) to make a point.

But guys like that need 10 years minimum and major treatment. You don't just screw up the kid. You screw up the kid's kids, too. 2 years for screwing up two generations worth of folks. Nice. Nice.