Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Shopping from a cell phone

I read this article in the New York Times this morning: Those Born to Shop Can Now Use Cellphones. I think you have to login, so if you don't have a NYT account, the basic idea of the article is that more people are getting cell phones that can better render Web sites, allowing people to shop from their cell phones.

If you have the option of shopping online with your computer or your phone, which are you going to pick? I mean, I love my cell phone (the Motorola Razr), but I detest having to do anything Internet-based on it. No cell phone has a large enough screen or good enough touchpad to make me want to use it for shopping online. Half the time, I can hardly make out what the pattern on a Victoria's Secret chemise looks like from my computer monitor, let alone the minuscule screen on my cell phone.

But, I realize that this is new frontier. I went to a presentation awhile back about user interface (UI) design for different-sized UIs. For example, you display menus and information to people on a computer monitor in a completely different way than you do on a cell phone or PDA. It was really interesting to see how you can best use the real estate that you're given. And I admit that it is handy to have the option to go online to do things from a phone, because sometimes that's all you've got and you need to find a person or a movie time. But, I still don't see myself shopping from my phone; maybe I just lack vision...

No comments: