Friday, January 13, 2006

Furniture woes

As I wrote about in an earlier post, I ordered a bunch of furniture for my condo. I spent roughly around $8500 on everything, which is pretty good for an entirely new set of bedroom, living room, and den furniture (side note: I just have to remind myself of this each month as I'm paying it off over the next 1/2 year).

Anyhow...the custom furniture that I ordered has yet to arrive, even though all of the places that I ordered from had dates that would have had me believe that I would be furnished before Christmas. That is obviously not the case as we're nearing mid January.

About a week ago, I called the place where I ordered my couch. They saw that the couch was completed and was being shipped to them, where they would then ship it to me. I scheduled the delivery for 1/13 and the lady said that they would call on 1/12 to confirm. Do you think I got a phone call today? If you guessed no, you're completely correct. So, I called when I got home and the lady said in a very matter-of-fact voice, "well, you still owe 1/3 of a balance on the couch." So, I responded, "yep, and when I paid the first 2/3, the gal said that the last 1/3 would be charged automatically when the delivery was scheduled." I got a "hmmm" in response to that. So, I ask if that will affect the delivery from happening on 1/13 and she says that she hopes not, but she's not sure. She can't give me any better answer than that. You can be sure that when my couch arrives and I get the little how-did-we-do card, I'll share my opinion about their poor communication skills. First, I paid enough at this place to get a couple of phone calls when the damn couch was ready, and when they figured out that they still had 1/3 of a bill to be paid if it's not just some automatic process that happens at the same time delivery is scheduled. Second, their original estimate of 4-6 weeks was completely incorrect, and really annoying at this point.

After that conversation, I called one of the other places that I ordered the bookcases, media cabinets, chairs, and TV stand from. Everything is still being finished, so it will be delivered to their warehouse on 1/24. I ordered this furniture on Halloween, and was told 7-9 weeks.

Tomorrow, I'm going to call the last place and probably find that a team of highly skilled monks is individually creating and blessing each thread that goes into the chair I ordered, so the original 6-8 week estimate will extend to 68 weeks. That could be a bit of an exaggeration, but who knows at this point?

Can ya tell I'm pissed about the whole situation? Yeah, me neither... ;)

No comments: