Thursday, January 05, 2006

Definitions containing "last" in Japanese

My friend, E., is teaching English in Japan and will soon be studying Japanese at a university there. He sent a link to a page on the "Japanese Wordinator" defining words that contain the word "last". These definitions include: final three bouts on the last day of a sumo tournament; the first and last occurrence (event, experience) of one's lifetime; (vegetables) salted just overnight; cheating on train fare by buying tickets covering only the first and last portions of the journey...

And therein lies the reason I won't be learning Japanese in this lifetime. As E. pointed out, he gasps that there are even words for some of those definitions, and I agree. Good luck, E.!

3 comments:

Author said...

That's nothin'. Check this one out:

http://www.edochan.com/learn/lookup.cgi?w=%8Fo%82%B7

The word is "dasu," and I wrote a whole pot on it. It, and it's various permutations, are RIDICULOUS.

Author said...

By the way, the funniest one in your link is the one at the top, which is essentially pronounced "rasto." I hear it all the time from the kids at school.

ar_kay_tee said...

Yeah, I remember your post on "dasu" and I was cracking up. Too damn funny!