Monday, October 08, 2007

Weird dream

You know how sometimes you have a very vivid dream, and it really sticks with you for awhile afterward? That happened to me this morning. This one still kind of freaks me out, because it just left me with such an empty feeling.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm in a living room with a large sliding glass door that faces a lovely view of the ocean. I wander around the apartment doing various things until I hear a bang at the sliding glass door and run back into the living room. I find that the tide has come in and waves are crashing up against the base of the door, with salt water making its way through the edges. The carpet is soaked near the door, and I'm not sure what I can do to stop the water from coming in, so I do nothing but wait for the tide to go out. Upon closer inspection of the door and the walls in that area, I notice that a section of the wall is nothing but a thin sheet of something and it is beginning to wear away. I wonder how I didn't notice this before buying the place, and I make a mental note to call the property manager to see what can be done about all of this. Because this apartment is on the first floor, I'm unsure what they can do about keeping the ocean from flooding into the living room each time the tide comes in, and I am upset that my perfect little world is disrupted this way.

I wander into the back room, which is still an unfinished room. I remember that I need to figure out how to complete the sheet rock and mudding, and wonder who I should call. I'm no longer in contact with people who would have helped with this in the past. So, I realize that I need to hire someone to do it, and I think about all of the horror stories I've heard about hiring incompetent people. Suddenly, I feel very overwhelmed. There is a lot of work to do ahead, and I sigh.

3 comments:

gcb said...

Were you ever in a hurricane?

ar_kay_tee said...

No, thankfully. I think it's just kind of symbolic because of the place that I'm in right now. There are a lot of changes coming up - some good, some a bit scary. So, it just feels a bit overwhelming in general, especially with the health problems as of late. So, I think my mind was just alluding to all of those things.

Author said...

That's a textbook "I'm not ready for any of this" dream. In the midst of change, it's a common theme. I would wager that you may have been feeling anxiety as opposed to emptiness.

My dreams are awesome:

http://jyear1.blogspot.com/search/label/dreams

You dream doesn't even hold a candle to my dream. Your dream was barely the opening scene to any number of the 10-or-so dreams I have during my afternoon nap.

Amature...