Monday, October 29, 2007

Because we can, can can!

L. and I went out with our friends, C. and M. last night. We went to The Can Can in Seattle to celebrate C.'s 30th birthday. It was a blast! We got there early, and had drinks in the bar. They have some really creative drinks. If you go there sometime, I highly recommend the Bella Rouge. We then moved into the restaurant area to have dinner and see the Caberet show. The food was amazing, and the Can Can Castaways were incredible in their performance of I see London, I see France. It was a mix of dancers, who all had various specialties, such as contortion, bellydancing, comedy, etc. I really liked the music that they performed to as well, and Rainbow (the contortionist) answered one of my questions about the band who did one of the songs that I really liked. It turned out to be the band, The Bad Things, and the song I loved was called The Breaking. Her performance with Jonny Boy was really beautiful. I can't believe the positions that she got into! I really wish I knew where she got her shoes - they were so cute. The belly dancer was able to get through an entire performance with a sword balanced on her head, and her burlesque number was really impressive, too. The men were equally as amazing, all very limber and entertaining.

The highlight of the night was that M. called ahead of time to arrange it so that C. would be brought up as part of one of the performances. It was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. One of the Can Can Castaways dressed up as an 80s hair band member and lip-sync'd power ballads while stripping down into smaller and smaller underwear each time the song changed. There was no telling where this was going to go, and C. was just hilarious sitting there and making faces, and sometimes dancing along. I had tears streaming down my face throughout the whole thing. L. and I were asked a few questions and brought up to the stage as part of the show a couple of times, too. It was one of the most fun evenings out I've ever had.

Plus, it was just great to see C. and M. again. It's been a good year and a half or two years since I'd last seen them, and so much has changed for all of us. I've known C. since grade school, and we've been friends since second grade despite my moving away in third grade. We always kept in touch, and she's one of the coolest people that I know. She's so open and fun and down to earth. I'm so happy to be friends with her after all of these years. It seems impossible that we're all turning 30 now, and that she has two little girls! They're such a happy family, and I'm so glad that things have worked out well for her and M. They make a really great couple.

No comments: