Sunday, September 30, 2007

Trip to the emergency room

Well, this is slightly depressing after my last post, but L. had to take me to the emergency room early this morning. I was coughing almost non stop, had trouble breathing, and not even my albuterol and new prescriptions were helping. So, I called the on-call nurse again, and she said we should get to the ER and get it taken care of.

I must say that the people at the Overlake ER were really nice, and they got me into a room right away. We waited a little bit for the nurse and doctor to come in, and they gave me some pretty hefty duty meds for pain (to help ease the inflamation, keep the coughing down, and help me sleep), as well as some for breathing. We got home, and I was finally able to sleep for several hours in a row without coughing. What a luxury.

Today, we went and filled my prescriptions for prednesone and percoset, and so far that has helped a lot. Now when I cough it's actually productive (because of my cold) instead of just irritated. And my lungs don't feel like they're on fire. I talked to my mom for awhile, because she's had asthma for years and always has good advice. She said that the prednesone will really start kicking in tomorrow and the next day, so I should be getting back on track soon. I just have to take it a bit easy right now. And I have to avoid being around a lot of people, because apparently the prednesone is not so helpful to the immune system (oddly enough). So, I do need to be careful about that for the next week or so.

Anyway, I'm hopeful that my next post will actually be good news rather than cold and asthma updates. I'm just so thankful to have a wonderful fiance like L., who takes good care of me when I'm sick.

No comments: