Saturday, September 29, 2007

On the way to recovery

Well, some of the wedding planning and excitement got waylaid this week by yet another cold. I started getting sick on Monday, but tried to push through it until Wednesday when I finally had to admit that I was sick, sick, sick. This was compounded by one of the worst migraines I've ever had in my life on Wednesday night to the extreme that I couldn't even keep down my medication until mid-day on Thursday. Thankfully, L. came to my rescue late Wednesday night/early Thursday morning when I called for help. After he talked to the on-call nurse, he got me setup well enough to get a little sleep. And by Thursday afternoon, the headache had died down enough that I didn't feel like my head was going to explode. Of course, I was still dealing with the runny nose, irritated throat, and coughing from the cold.

Unfortunately, since this cold came on so closely to the last cold and sinus infection that I had, my lungs didn't really have time to recover fully, so my asthma got a lot worse. I went to the doctor today to get on some more advanced medications to try and get things under control. My doctor also prescribed Robitussin with codine in it to help with the extreme coughing at night. This is supposed to help me sleep better at night, but so far it's not doing much. I guess it has helped the coughing a little bit, but I'm still coughing enough that it's keeping me up. I'm hoping that after a few days of the new medications, things will calm down a bit and I'll be well enough to get around a bit more. Nothing reminds you of how important your health is until something takes it away for awhile.

I was worried about being sick twice so closely, but my doctor said that something really bad is going around right now. She said the last couple of weeks have been nothing but sick people in her office, and that it's like December around there. So, while it's out of the ordinary, and she's following up on it with some tests, it's likely just unlucky that I got this second cold. I sure hope so.

No comments: