Saturday, September 08, 2007

More

Several years ago, my cousin R. and I were watching videos on MTV (yes, Virginia, MTV used to actually show videos instead of stupid TV shows) and we saw the video for Hell Bent by Kenna. That video and song stuck with me for many years.

Tonight, L. and I opened up iTunes to see the free songs of the week, and lo and behold, it was a song from Kenna! I dug through my CDs and located my burned CD of New Sacred Cow, which I obtained even before it was available commercially. I played the song for L. and then ran an online search for the video. We found the video on YouTube, and L. agreed that it was really incredible.

What I didn't know until tonight is that the video was actually a short film called More by Mark Osbourne, and that it was originally backed with the song Elegia by New Order.

Here is the description from the Wikipedia entry about More:
More tells the story of an inventor who lives in a drab, colorless world. Day by day, he toils away in a harsh, dehumanizing job, his only savior being the memories of the bliss of childhood. But at night, he works secretly on an invention that could help him relive those memories and spread their joy to everyone in his despair-filled life. When he finishes his invention, it changes the way people look at the world. But his success changes him, for with it, he loses an important part of himself.


Powerful stuff, that. I was happy to have found the video again after all of these years, because it reminds me to stay true to myself.

No comments: