Sunday, September 23, 2007

Disgusting habit

Smoking is one of the most disgusting habits. I can't figure out how people get addicted to it in the first place, but that's kind of beside the point. People do get addicted, and unfortunately they're not affecting only themselves.

Today, I went to Endfest 16 in the Qwest Field parking lot with L. and my cousins. There were some really great shows, and we had a good time all around. But, after getting used to the smoking ban in Seattle, it was such an assault on my nose and lungs to be around so much smoke. It's still in my nose hours later and I'll probably wake up feeling like the bottom of an ash tray. I just took a couple of puffs of my asthma medication because the smoke has stirred up my coughing.

Ugh. The woman in the condo two stories down from me smokes. Somehow, the smoke drifts up to my place on occasion, and L. and I both comment on how it seems like she is smoking right in the same room as us. I think it's worse during the summer, since everyone has windows open, and I had an air conditioner going. So, I'm hoping that lessens during winter because it's pretty hard on me.

I dunno. I know that addiction is hard, but most addictions are not things that you can do around other people and affect them. I love the smoking ban because it has finally made it possible to go out to a club, or bar, or restaurant without feeling like an ashtray. It's only when you get into areas, like the outdoor festival today, where you have to put up with people smoking anymore. I just wish that those people would realize how difficult it is for people, like me with lung problems, to be around stuff like that.

3 comments:

gcb said...

I don't understand why people still smoke...everyone knows it has a very negative effect on your health and well-being. And it's really expensive too, a pack of cigs is like $4.

ar_kay_tee said...

I know. I feel badly complaining about it, because I know that it's an addiction. But, just seeing what it does to my lungs after an afternoon, I can't even imagine how those people who actually smoke are getting along. It's so hard on your body. It's really unfortunate that cigarettes were ever made at all.

Author said...

A decent pack of smokes is almost seven bucks now.