Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Problems with technological advances

The latest entry in the Red Tape Chronicles is about high tech spousal abuse. It was a rather timely article considering the other day my cousin was asking me about key logging software for her friend. Apparently this friend has a cheating husband, who has since sworn that he is no longer cheating, and actually appears to be making an effort at repairing his marriage. However, the friend has (understandably) lost all trust and decided that she wanted to put a key logging program on their computer to try and catch him cheating.

Of course since I'm the technology person in our family, my cousin comes to ask me about these programs, about which I have absolutely no clue. All I could tell her was that it sounded like a bad idea, and that her friend was going in the wrong direction if she really wanted to put her marriage back together and get trust back with her spouse.

Awhile back, L. and I watched a Dr. Phil episode about a woman whose husband was absolutely out of control and a complete creep. He had literally rigged everything of hers with GPS, spyware, etc. to keep track of her at all times and in all places. It was the craziest thing I'd ever seen, and the whole time we couldn't believe how this woman stayed with him. In the end, she wanted to get out and I have no idea whether she was able to do that successfully. But, I sure hope so.

I sometimes wonder how far all of this technology will take us. There are so doors opened with each new advancement, but it sure brings up a lot of questions and people who will take advantage of a situation.

No comments: