Thursday, August 16, 2007

A nice compliment

It's been a fairly good week. I found out that I had some content published in a technical book, so that was pretty exciting. Although I publish a lot of online technical content, this was the first time I was published in a book.

I also got a nice compliment from one of the PMs I work with about my design work. Right now, I do a lot of work on UI text and design for our team, and I really enjoy it. The PM told me that he really appreciates having my help on the text and design because he thinks that I'm very good at it. He said that they always bring the design stuff to me now, since we don't have an actual designer on the team. So, that was nice to hear. As a technical writer, you don't always get a lot of respect, so it's really good when people value what you do. And it's even nicer when it's something that isn't technically part of your job title, but something that you enjoy a lot and with which you are apparently doing a good job.

This was especially nice to hear because I'm thinking of taking some design-related classes next year when I have some more free time. I really want to learn more about the tools, like PhotoShop and InDesign. I love writing, but I'd like to pair it up with more background in design.

No comments: