Saturday, June 02, 2007

Hospital visits

My mom took my step dad into the hospital on Friday afternoon. I got the message a little after 4:00. He had come home from work early because he wasn't feeling well. My mom was home, getting ready for a quilting trip in Leavenworth with some of her friends. My step dad kept taking his pulse because it would go from beating really quickly to slowing down dramatically.

He's been dealing with some heart trouble for the last month and a half, but the doctors hadn't really been able to figure out what was going on with him until he went to the emergency room on Friday. It turns out that he has a condition where his heart will go from something like 40 beats to 150 beats and it keeps switching back and forth. They're going to put a pacemaker in on Monday, but they kept him in the hospital this whole weekend to monitor him. He can't even get out of bed unless he has assistance because they're worried that he'll tax his heart too much.

Understandably, he's not excited to be in the hospital, but my mom spent all evening with him on Friday, and again all day today. L. and I went to visit him today, and brought him and my mom some things. My mom is staying with me this weekend, since I live very close to the hospital where he's at. L. and I have been looking after their poodle, Diego. We went to the store tonight to get some stuff for dinner and some goodies for mom to take with her tomorrow. We'll bring her some lunch tomorrow, too, since the hospital food leaves a lot to be desired. Mom was exhausted when she got home tonight, so I made her some dinner, and then sent her to bed in my room after she started falling asleep on the couch.

All I know is that I hope that the surgery goes well on Monday, and I hope that this solves the problems that he's been having. Of course, after this he's got to deal with his prostate cancer coming back. He had surgery to remove it several years ago, but it's come back. So, he's got to do radiation after all of this is over. I sure hope that after all of this, he comes out better than ever. He deserves to be able to retire and have a nice life with my mom after all that they've worked for.

No comments: