Friday, June 29, 2007

Country music

I'm not sure why, but lately I've taken to listening to country music, primarily from the 90s. I used to listen to it a lot when I was growing up because that's all my step dad listened to. And I grew up, in part, on my grandparent's farm in eastern Washington, so I listened to it a lot over the summers when I was working there with my cousins.

I'm definitely into all kinds of music. The only thing I really can't get on board with is smooth jazz. But, I tend to get in a music mood and it will last for a period of several weeks to several months. This is the same thing that happens for me with certain foods. I guess I just don't get easily bored.

Anyway, I went onto iTunes the other day and downloaded a bunch of country songs that I used to love, and have been listening to my new playlist every day since. One thing that I notice about country music, is that a lot of it (at least the older tunes) have some really great stories, more so than a lot of other genres of music. Reba McEntire has some really great story songs, like Fancy (girl turned call girl to move up in the world) and her cover of The Night the Lights Went out in Georgia (complete with murder mystery and sentencing the wrong person to death).

This got me to thinking. Most songs are about attraction and love (either getting it or losing it). This seems to be the biggest theme in music. So, it's kind of refreshing to listen to some songs that have an actual plot to them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good point. Here's a quote I got years ago that I just managed to find again whilst thinking about your blog entry:

====

Rock and roll has outlived its usefulness to most of us who grew up with it. The current hits aren't about us anymore, but that's all right--we're no longer crowding the clubs and record stores. Pop has always existed primarily for the young, the only ones who have time for it. The source of disenchantment is in realizing that the favorite songs of our high school and college years are no longer about us either--they reflect where we were in our lives then, not where we are now.

This may be why so many of my friends have developed a sudden interest in country, a style of pop whose subject matter is less often adolescent sensuality than adult wreckage [...]

-- Francis Davis, "'Vox Populi", Atlantic, Oct 1993

ar_kay_tee said...

Perfect quote! That does make sense. When I was a kid, I could never imagine not liking pop music. Now, I find it hard to listen to any pop music stations for more than one or two songs. Guess I'm getting old :)

Anonymous said...

I forget which of the pop stations is currently playing this, but there's a song out right now in which the narrator is wrecking her now-ex-boyfriend's SUV while he's making time with some new young thing. As per your point, practically the first thing I thought of was "Hey, this sounds like country music!" :-)