Friday, January 19, 2007

Study shows that women are safer drivers

I've never actually had anyone comment that they're scared of my driving habits, but I've heard plenty about the difference between male and female drivers, and how males tend to fare better. However, this report (on AP) seems to show something different. Men have a 77% higher risk of death in car accidents than women: "As for men being more likely to die than women? McCartt and Fischbeck said men take more risks, speed more, drink and drive more." The report had a lot of other interesting information, from ages and types of vehicles involved.

7 comments:

Author said...

This does not surprise me at all. Do insurance rates reflect it? I never bothered to check, but it would be interesting to know.

It would also be interesting to know what the rate of fender benders is for males and females. I think women are stereotyped as being more of a pain-in-the-ass than lethal, which is imaginably a mixed blessing. But I bet the rate of non-lethal accidents could go either way, too.

That article has way too much fun with statistics.

I am the best driver who ever lived.

ar_kay_tee said...

Yes, insurance was always more expensive for the guys in my class than for the girls. I do remember that being a factor. I don't think it was until C. hit 25 that his insurance rates went down.

Speaking of the best driver who ever lived, are you going to get the karma truck back when you return?

Author said...

It was unfortunately sold. I may be driving a karma civic, though. We'll see.

ar_kay_tee said...

Sweet! Karma vehicles are awesome :)

Anonymous said...

Holly read an artcile this morning that claimed Geminis (her sign) are better drivers than Aquarians (mine)! BUT... I just googled for the article and the one I discovered appears to have exactly the opposite information, clamining Geminis are the worst drivers imaginable.

Author said...

Well, not really Karmic. I am probably getting it from me Da'. I guess that's karma. The truck had so much history though, and ran so well despite years and years of abuse.

1 clutch. That was the only work I had done on it. I loved that truck.

ar_kay_tee said...

Hmmmm. I wonder where Aries sits in the list of drivers. I should find that article :)

I think it's got to be a karma car if it comes from your dad. After all, he's your dad. That's awesome that the karma truck only needed work on the clutch. It was so old!