Friday, August 27, 2004

Spiders in the shower

What is it with spiders and showers? I can't count the number of times I've run into one of the little eight-legged buggers in the shower over my lifetime. What is so friggin appealing about the shower that they feel the need to hang out there?

Just a minute ago, I'm getting ready to hop into a nice warm shower. It's been a hectic week, and as you've read in my last blog, I haven't been feeling 100%. So, I figure I'll hop in for a few minutes, and let my muscles warm up and relax. As I peel back the shower curtain, what do a find but a nasty little spider in the back by my shampoo bottle (insert your own scary music here)!!!

Now, those who know me fairly well, know that I'm pretty darned arachnophobic. I'm not empty-my-room-and-sit-up-all-night-long-because-I'm-freaked-out-about-the-spider-I-saw-on-the-wall kind of arachnophobic (like a friend of mine), but suffice it to say that I am a scream-out-loud-short-of-breath-call-for-my-husband-to-eradicate-the-sucker kind of arachnophobic.

Since my husband is gone this evening, I was stuck dealing with the problem myself. So, I turned the showerhead to the most powerful setting and shot it at the spider, who then decided to swim around a bit in the pool that was forming because we have a slow drain. Who in God's green earth decided that spiders should be able to swim? It was like friggin Wet n' Wild in there for him. I could just imagine him saying "whee" and all of his little friends in the wall or wherever getting excited at the prospect of a good time. I won't be surprised if I wake up in the morning and have spider fest going on in the bathroom.

I'm sure I looked like a complete idiot. Imagine a naked woman spraying a little spider with a shower head, meanwhile emitting little "eeks" whenever the spider got to a stable surface and started moving. I'm sure that in my own private little hell, I will have to face all of the innocent spiders who have lost their lives on account of my arachnophobia; I only hope that I have a huge-ass can of Raid and a space suit.

No comments: