Monday, August 23, 2004

Common sense for common folk

What happened to natural selection? I thought that as time went on, nature would automatically start weeding out those who are less *insert characteristic* than others. As I get older (and hopefully wiser), I'm definitely seeing a decrease in natural selection as it pertains to the human race.

Perhaps all of our life-preserving measures and zillionth chance social programs are working against us. I'm not saying that civilization and modern advances aren't beneficial; I'm just exploring the possibility that we are carrying on less than stellar specimens and it's something to think about. We're actually working against nature. We find ways to circumvent our fate all of the time. How many times have you heard about women trying every last medical procedure in order to have a child or read about people surviving almost imminent death (thanks to a team of dedicated medical professionals) after doing something completely stupid?

Overall, it's the lack of intelligence and common sense that bothers me. I understand the natural urge to help people and want to save them from death and disease. I don't understand ignoring people who have spaghetti for brains (especially when they have children).

Take this woman I saw yesterday for instance. As my husband and I are driving along on a busy 5-lane road, we see a woman with a baby stroller cross the street. Now, normally, this wouldn't attract much attention. However, seeing as she wasn't crossing at the crosswalk, wasn't waiting for a clearing in traffic, and was actually holding her hands out to stop the cars coming around the corner at 40 miles an hour, I thought to myself, "she has reproduced." That's the first thought in my head. There's nothing stopping her from passing her insanity and lack of common sense onto another generation. And that's a scary thought.

Another good example is something I saw on the news last week; I see fabulous examples of stupidity on the news all the time, but this one really took the cake. A guy left his infant in his idling truck while going in for a job interview. Low and behold, someone comes to steal the truck with his daughter in it, so he runs out to stop it from happening. Again, I thought, "he has reproduced." The kicker is that the company with which he was interviewing said they'd hire him. I'm sorry, but anyone who leaves their kid locked in a vehicle should be cited with neglect and sent for parenting classes. That's not an individual I would want representing my business. What a dumbass.

I'm not saying everyone has to be Albert Einstein in the body of Lance Armstrong, but have some friggin common sense people! And can we please start sending these people to parenting classes or something? Let's start giving future generations a crack at a better existence than we have.

No comments: