Thursday, December 27, 2007

January 14, here I come!

I officially start the 20/20 Lifestyles program on Monday, January 14. For the 16-week program, I'll be doing the following:

  • Working out with a personal trainer in the evening on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays

  • Meeting with my nutritionist once a week after one of my personal training appointments

  • Meeting with a counselor on Thursday evenings

  • Meeting with a women's support group on Monday evenings

  • Working out on my own at least two other days a week besides my personal training sessions on M/W/F



  • After the 16 week program, I'll go into the 12-week maintenance phase, where I'll still work out with my trainer, and meet up with my nutritionist and my counselor, but on a slightly less frequent basis.

    I'm so excited to get started, but I know that I'll go through moments where I wonder what the heck I've signed up for. It will be the most intense exercise and nutrition program I've ever done in my life, and I already lead a pretty busy life. But, in the end it will be worth it when I see and feel the results. And it will certainly get me out of work at a decent hour, which is always hard during a ship year, but I just can't wait any longer. After we ship one thing, there's always another thing right behind it. So, I just decided to bite the bullet and do it now. I realize that will change some of my habits as far as work goes, and will probably slow me down a little bit as far as promotions or things go because I won't be taking on so many extra things. But, maybe that's a good thing. We work in this really busy, fragmented, always-something-else-to-get-done kind of place and it takes its toll on a person.

    I think this program will make a world of difference in my immune system, back problems, asthma, acid reflux, and migraines. Once I get all of the food allergies and such figured out, and get my body moving, I know that I'll feel better just by doing that. The weight loss will be just that extra benefit to help with my back problems and asthma. And I sincerely think that my immune system will finally start to improve when I take better care of myself. Looking back on this year, I've been sick once a month every month since August. And that doesn't count the flu and cold that I had at the beginning of the year. That's just awful, and I don't want to feel that way anymore.

    I am hoping that I find some kinds of activities that I really enjoy so that I stick with them. I always hear about people who kind of get addicted to exercise, and I just can't fathom it. I hate working out with a passion. Anything I can do to make my life less active, I'm all for. So, the cool thing about this program is that your trainer helps you to find activities that you're interested in so that you stay with them. I want to do some swimming, because I've always really enjoyed swimming. And I have a friend who wants to try some group classes with me, such as step aerobics (which I like, because I like dancing) and pilates, so that will be good. I feel more motivated when I have a friend because it doesn't seem as much like work. I might also pick up a fun activity, like badminton or something where I meet people who like to play. My friend really likes squash, so I might try that with her. It seems a little bit less painful than raquetball.

    Anyway, I want to go into my 30s a much healthier person than I've been in my 20s and make that something that I can maintain for my lifetime. Wish me luck!

    No comments: