Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Movies, movies, movies

This last weekend, L. and I took some time to go to the movies. There are a bunch of films that we've wanted to see, but we usually get too busy to see them until they come out on video.

First, on Saturday we saw Stranger Than Fiction, which was really good. Will Ferrell did an excellent job, as did the rest of the cast. It was a really interesting concept for a movie.

On Sunday, we saw Running with Scissors, which is the movie version of Augusten Burrough's memoir. I read Running with Scissors about a year ago, and was completely blown away by the story. Although I liked the book Dry a bit better, Running with Scissors certainly laid the groundwork for what came in Dry. Anyway, the movie version was fabulous. Annette Bening was wonderful as Augusten's mother, and Joseph Cross was perfect as Augusten. It's definitely a heavy movie due to the subject matter, but it spares you some of the details that are covered in the book that would probably make for more of an NC-17 kind of rating.

I'm thrilled to see that Fast Food Nation has been turned into a movie. I can't wait to see it. The book was great, and totally changed my perspective on food. With the exception of Halloween, I have not eaten fast food since around May or June of this year. I actually read Fast Food Nation a couple of years ago, and it changed my eating habits somewhat. But then around May or June, I read Chew on This (which frankly was a lot like Fast Food Nation), and watched the documentary McLibel. I then decided that I would avoid fast food as much as possible. There are just too many reasons to not eat fast food and support that industry. Of course, it goes deeper than fast food, but I've been trying to buy more organic products and food, such as meat, that comes from farms that support sustainable agriculture and humane treatment of animals.

No comments: