Thursday, November 30, 2006

Déjà vu

This is an interesting article about déjà vu, the feeling that you've experienced something before. There was a theory that, "the phenomenon occurs when the image of a scene through one eye arrives at the brain before the image from the other eye." But, apparently a blind man experienced the feeling both through smell, sound, and touch. This lends more credibility to the theory that, "the experience is caused when an area of the brain that deals with familiarity gets disrupted."

I've experienced déjà vu many times in my life, although I used to experience it a lot more when I was younger. I also used to have premonitions, but haven't had one of those in years. The brain is definitely strange territory in research, and completely fascinating to me. I remember learning in a psychology class about people who have split-brain surgery (usually because they have a lot of seizures, and such), so that the two sides of their brain no longer communicate with one another. So, a person could be in the middle of reading a book and they will suddenly put it down (without meaning to) because the side of the brain that is reading is different than the side of the brain that controls the arm.

Can you imagine? That would be so odd. I learned a lot of other cool stuff in that class. I think if I'd have thought a little more about my major in college, I could have done psychology instead of political science. But, I learned a lot of cool things in poli sci, too, so no harm done there.

No comments: