Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Week 16 recap

I'm late (again) on posting my recap, but it's due in part to some big things going on with some of my family members starting late last week into this week. Everything appears to be going OK with everyone again, and we even had some good news in the family in the form of an addition to our family, which was very exciting. My cousins, R. and A., welcomed their new little girl into the world on Monday afternoon. I haven't seen her yet due to being sick the last few days, but L. and I are going to visit them on Saturday and see the new baby.

Anyway, I weighed in last Thursday and I gained 2 pounds. It was such a frustrating moment. Granted, so far things have been going along pretty well and I've only gained one other week during the whole program. But, still... It's always disappointing to see the numbers on the scale go up instead of down when you've been working so hard at something like this. My nutritionist, C., and I talked things over and she thinks that it is probably water weight due to the point I'm at in my cycle (love being a woman sometimes), the addition of whole grains (which cause you to retain more water than other food groups), and some high sodium foods I've been eating recently. So, I backed off of the grains a little bit this week to one serving instead of two. We'll see if that helps when I weigh in again tomorrow.

Unfortunately, I got sick starting on Sunday evening, so I spent the last couple of days bundled up in blankets trying to keep warm and the other part of my time in the bathroom wondering how there can be anything left in my stomach. Despite that, I've been trying to keep eating healthy and keep my protein levels up. I've also been drinking even more water than I normally do, which is a lot. It seems to be working, because I am doing better. I cancelled my training session on Monday night, but I did make it to training tonight. J. didn't overwork me because he knew that I was still recovering. But I got in a good workout nonetheless.

My guess is that tomorrow's weigh in will probably be a bit of a wash since I've been eating well but not working out or getting in my steps. I guess right now I need to be more worried about recovering than losing weight, but I hate to lose a week to illness.

I have to say that I think I'm at that point where the honeymoon is over and reality is setting in. This is always a difficult point in a process because it's typically where I'd want to give in and grab a doughnut. But I'm trying my hardest to keep my motivation up. I think the hardest thing right now is just that it all starts sinking in that I still have about 25-30 pounds to go (depending on my weigh in tomorrow) and that's still a lot of weight to lose. So, I start kind of beating myself up about gaining the weight in the first place, which is pretty useless. It's not like I can go back in time and change what I did before. I just have to keep putting one foot in front of the other and move forward with my life. But it is getting hard for that reason, and the frustration level is up in part because of that, which makes me want to cry. At least I still have a lot of support with my 20/20 team, so that's one thing that keeps me going. That and the fact that I've now spent a lot of money, time, and effort to get to this point of 37 pounds down. And if I did that, I can do the rest. It just sucks sometimes, and I'm just having a pity party this week about it all. Hopefully things will start going down again once my body heals from this cold/flu and I get back on track with working out.

No comments: