Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Sasquatch 2008

L. and I headed over to the Gorge on Sunday to see several bands at the Sasquatch music festival. We chose Sunday because it had the most bands that we wanted to see, even though it would have been cool to see a few from the other days of the festival. Originally, we planned to see Tegan and Sara, Rogue Wave, The Presidents of the United States of America, The Kooks, Death Cab for Cutie (DCFC), and The Cure.

We ended up missing Tegan and Sara because we took a little too long in Ellensburg getting checked in at our hotel and having lunch. It wasn't a big deal, though, since neither of us are die-hard Tegan and Sara fans. They would have been a nice-to-see.

We made it there to catch the last part of Rogue Wave, and heard/saw them while standing in line to buy our tee-shirts and concert gear. They sounded really good, and we wandered down to the Easy Street booth to get a CD signed, but were too late. They'd already cut off the line by the time we made it down there, so that was kind of a let down.

The Presidents put on an awesome show, and we did make it to the Easy Street booth in time for them to sign our CD. They seem like really nice guys, and even sung a chorus from one song that a fan said he was bummed that they didn't perfom. Talk about cool.

We then wandered back over to the Wookie stage to find a good spot to see The Kooks. We heard the last part of Mates of State, which was pretty good. I'd never heard them before, but they were entertaining. Unfortunately, they seemed to be having some difficulty with the equipment, which spilled over into the time slot for The Kooks. We waited for some time for The Kooks to come on, but we wanted to get a good spot for DCFC so we left before The Kooks started. That, personally, was the biggest bummer. I was really looking forward to seeing The Kooks, because I've been enjoying their last two albums recently. But, it wasn't meant to be. DCFC was higher on the list for me, and I wasn't about to miss that part of the festival.

DCFC were incredible, as always. I'm always impressed with their music and presence. They always talk about how excited they are to see and hear the other bands at the festival, and I believe them. They just exude the feeling that they really love what they do. They performed their new hit, I Will Possess Your Heart, and it sounded perfect. When L. and I first heard the song, neither one of us were really too sure whether we liked it or not. But it's definitely grown on me and I really love it now. Those are the best kind of songs...the ones that take awhile to develop.

The Cure came on and closed the show. We stayed for some time, despite the fact that it was definitely getting colder while we sat on that grassy hill. I have to admit that I'm not a die-hard Cure fan. I'm one of their "greatest hits" fans, so I wasn't as excited about some of the tunes they played. I was waiting for them to play Just Like Heaven, but it seemed like things were just dragging on and on, so we finally headed toward the car before my fingers froze off. Of course, as we got to the car, we heard those familiar notes and hung out to listen to it from the parking lot. Overall, it was a great day. Even though I got a little bit bored with The Cure and more than a little frozen there toward the end, they did sound really good, even if they look weird (although, they always have). There's something strange about them looking exactly the same for all of these years, but I guess that's their thing. No evolution like bands like R.E.M., but oh well. It was still cool to know that I've seen them live now, after having listented to them all these years. Now, we'll just have to look out for The Kooks and try to actually see them another time...

No comments: