Monday, January 21, 2008

Monday 20/20 program update

I worked out with my trainer on Friday, and we split the time between cardio (elliptical for 35 minutes at a 145-150 heart rate) and strength training. He had me do several upper body exercises, including a lat pull, chest press, curls, and butterfly press. Then he got out the exercise ball and had me do ab work and wall squats. The final exercise about killed me. It was called the plank, and it was basically supporting your body on your forearms and feet. At the end, I did the typical 10 minute cool down on the stationary bike while I watched a program video.

On Saturday, L. and I took it easy, and slept in. That evening, I went to dinner with an old friend from college at Daniel's Broiler. Luckily, I talked with my dietician beforehand, so I knew a couple of things that I could order and how to order them. So, all was well.

Yesterday, we went to my mom's house to celebrate my cousin's birthday. I brought my shake ingredients and a protein muffin to have when everyone else had cake. Overall, everything was pretty good but I did have a few cravings when the Subway sandwiches came. They just smelled and looked so good, as did the chips. But the nice thing was that I wasn't actually hungry, it was just a craving and it eventually passed. We left there about 5:00 so that I could get to the gym, shower, and get to the grocery store. I did 45 minutes of cardio work, which I find a lot harder when I work out on my own than when I work out with my trainer. When I'm with my trainer, we talk along the whole time and it goes very quickly. When I'm on my own, even with my iPod and some good TV programs to watch, I feel tired so much quicker.

Today was a badish day. I had a migraine, so I called in sick to work. I wasn't sure whether I'd make the workout and group session this afternoon and evening. I got up about 2:00 PM and took it easy for a bit. I made my breakfast shake and evaluated how I was doing. I figured that I was feeling better enough to go to my workout and the group session this evening. I met up with J. about 5:00 PM and he took it easy on me since I wasn't feeling great today. I did 30 minutes of elliptical and 10 minutes of bicycle. Then I took a nice shower and had a program dinner in the Bistro. I then headed over to my women's group session at 7:00 PM. We had a great discussion. I really appreciate the group session. It's nice to be there with other women who are going through the same thing.

Aside from the migraine today, things have been going really well. I do feel better when I workout. I'm amazed at how often I have to eat, and actually at how much fat I have to add to my diet. I'm learning a lot about my own body in this process. I'm not sure how the rest of the week will be. Because this is my first full week of the diet, I'm coming off of a lot of the sugar and other stuff that I'm used to having, which I think may have contributed to the migraine today. My trainer and counselor said that this may be a bit of a difficult week or two, but then things should stabilize. Makes sense, really. And it will be so worth it in the end when I feel better!

3 comments:

Author said...

The Plank is the beginning of a series of bay far the most effective exercises for the muscles around your waist. When you get good at it, regular sit-ups won't "work" on your anymore. Then, you can move to these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeKEe4ujceM

Preferenly the two arm version, though. I don't think the one arm thing in necesarry.

Way to stick it out!

ar_kay_tee said...

Thanks! I must say that I hate the plank exercise. And that video made me cringe - how can he do that? I feel like my back would go on strike if I tried something like that. Hopefully once I get my core strengthened, the back issues won't be so much of an issue anymore, though.

lonmowerman said...

Regular sit-ups are still working on me for the time being. Way to go - you are doing well so far!!! XOXO, --Seymour Abs