Thursday, May 10, 2007

Edward Scissorhands

My mom and I saw the theater production of Edward Scissorhands at the Fifth Avenue Theater tonight. I didn't really know what to expect, although I loved the movie and love Tim Burton's work and Danny Elfman's music.

I was really impressed. Instead of making it a musical, like most productions we see at the Fifth Avenue, it was more like a ballet set to an orchestra. In a way, I think it spoke volumes about the actors, as they couldn't rely on any words to get the story across. Everything was told through the set, costumes, dances, and expressions of each individual in the show. And it stayed true to the original message in the movie version, which was nice. I liked, too, that it had the feeling of Tim Burton, which is crucial to pulling something like this off.

The main characters were fantastic. And to top it off, at the end they showered the audience with fake snow. It was quite fantastic. I highly recommend seeing it, although it's only playing until May 13th here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My daughter is interested in the theater, but I get tired of going to the children's theater. It'll be fun when we can go together, like you and your mom.

Anonymous said...

Oooh. I didn't know Edward Scissorhands went theater style.

Thanks for your comments, by the way. It helps.