Monday, December 18, 2006

Bringing out the best - or worst - in people

Listening to the radio over the past few days, it's been nice to hear how everyone pulls together in a crisis to help one another. On KIRO AM 1000 (one of our local radio stations), people have been calling in either requesting help or offering assistance and information.

But, there is a dark side to all of this aside from the lack of electricity. There has been a surge in people having their generators stolen, and criminals are taking advantage of houses where people are away. I guess there is no rest for scum. Not that it's any better that they do such things when the power is on, but it seems even more insidious during a disaster. And my dad reported seeing $2.99/gallon gas yesterday at one gas station. No better time to jack the prices up than when people are most in need. I understand adjusting prices for supply and demand, to ensure that supply does not run out. But, this seems rather steep.

Hopefully things will be back on track for everyone this week. This storm has really taken a toll on the region.

2 comments:

gcb said...

During Katrina there were people buying up generators elsewhere in the country, then trucking down to the affected region and selling them in parking lots for insane amounts of money...thousands of dollars in some cases.

There wasn't much the police could do about such things...they had their hands full with other matters.

ar_kay_tee said...

Yeah, I remember hearing about that! It's just so sad. I always think that this would bring out the best in everyone, but there are still people who are willing to take advantage, no matter what the time or place.

About half of the people on my team at work are still without power today. A couple are not expecting to get power until the weekend. I'm so lucky and thankful that my power came back on around 24 hours after it went out. I've offered to have people come over for a hot meal, laundry, showers, etc. but most seem to be getting by OK with what they have. I sure hope that we get back on track soon. I'm just thankful it wasn't like Katrina here.