Thursday, December 29, 2005

Open mouth and insert foot

Awhile back, I was sitting at lunch with some friends and talking about the Sony rootkit issue. One of the artists that had CDs that installed the rootkit was Celine Dion. I really can't stand Celine Dion, so I made a comment to the effect of, "well, it serves them right for listening to Celine Dion". One of my friends, C., was like, "hey, I like Celine Dion." So, open mouth, and insert foot...

Anyway, it became a joke between us, and recently while I was down in Vegas I stopped in the Celine Dion shop at Caesar's. I bought C. a bookmark for Celine Dion's new show. And when I flipped the bookmark over, I was absolutely ROTFLMAO at the wording on the back. You'd think that I was buying a diamond ring or something, not a bookmark.

It says things like, "[The bookmark] is also meant to become part of your everyday busy life as a marker in an agenda or book." Hmmmmm...is that what a bookmark is for? By golly, I'm so thankful that she cleared that little mystery up for me. It goes on to say things like "Bookmarks are there to take you where you left off. Call it a day, a page, a phrase, a thought. What is behind is passe, what is ahead is unknown. Pretty much as in real life..."

Barf. I've never seen so much importance put on something so insignificant. There's more, but I'll spare you the pain.

4 comments:

Author said...

I don't get it. It's like a bookmark, as in the little piece of paper you stick in between the pages in a book?

ar_kay_tee said...

Yep - exactly.

Author said...

"[The little piece of paper that you found under a coushion in the sofa and folded in half and stuck in your book] is also meant to become part of your everyday busy life as a marker in an agenda or book."

The best things in life are free...

ar_kay_tee said...

Yes, or the renewal notice in your magazine, or the corner of an abandoned envelope, or the folded portion of a page in a book - all "meant to become part of your everyday busy life as a marker in an agenda or book".