Wednesday, April 14, 2010

San Juan Island

So, for the past few weeks, things have been a bit tough in general, and mid way through last week I decided to take this week off. I just felt like I needed some time away from work to think about some things and figure out how to deal. Of course, I decided to check my email today and got another little surprise, so I had a moment of freaking out and then decided to just let it go. I think that I try to take too much responsibility for some things, and even though I am a lead, there are things that I just have no control over and things that I just need to be able to step back from. It's hard to do that being the kind of person I am and having the kind of job I have, but it's true. And for my own health and sanity, I'm trying my hardest to figure this out lest I fall back into depression or just lose my mind entirely.

One of the things I had to look forward to this week was a trip to Friday Harbor with my friend, A., who was visiting from London. We left Monday morning for Anacortes to catch the ferry to Friday Harbor, and when we landed we checked in at our hotel, Friday Harbor House. It was a nice room, and we each had our own bed in addition to a great view, jacuzzi tub, and comfy chairs. We dropped off our stuff, and walked around the town, which is really cheery and friendly. We stopped in some shops and had nice conversations with everyone around. We then headed to Mi Casita for a great Mexican dinner and drinks, before heading back to watch the movie, The Illusionist and turning in for the night. Then yesterday, we got up and drove all around the island checking out the sights. We did walking tours of both the American Camp and British Camp, and saw deer and foxes. One fox was so close at American Camp that I got some really good pictures of him. We also looked for whales at Lime Kiln park. We could hear some activity in the water, and every once in awhile we'd see something poke up, but we couldn't really tell what it was for sure. I don't think it was orcas, since I think we'd have seen the dorsal fin. But it was possibly some other kind of whale or porpoise, and it was so nice to stand there in the sun looking out at the beauty of nature. I feel so lucky to live in such a beautiful part of the country, and be within driving distance of such amazing places.

We headed back yesterday afternoon and A. headed off to visit her next friend on the visit. It was a great time with one of my best friends, and really helped to have someone to talk to about things and lighten my load. I woke up this morning with a cold, so I took it easy today and will break out the Nyquil tonight. I'm hoping to feel well enough tomorrow to do some work out in the yard. I feel like my ultimate thing right now is to reconnect with nature and basics, and focus on simplicity rather than drama.

And hopefully next week when I go back into work, I will be more rested and have more perspective on things than before this mini break.





No comments: