Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Moving

It's been a really busy couple of weeks. I've been trying to get my condo all ready to be rented, and luckily I found a great property management company, and they promptly found me a renter. So, I've been busting my butt to get everything packed up. I have movers coming tomorrow morning to move all of my furniture and boxes. I honestly can't believe how I managed to pack this much stuff into a 1 bed/1 bath/den place. Amazing...

It became clear a few minutes ago when I tripped over my bed's footboard that I needed to take a break or risk breaking myself. When I've been working on something like this for such a long period of time, I become prone to accidents. So, it seemed like a good time to write a blog entry especially considering I'll have no internet connection for a week. I called Comcast last week, but they were really booked and can't come until next Wednesday. So, I'll miss a couple of programs I've been following, notably "So You Think You Can Dance" and "Design Star". Oh well. I'll be able to catch up with it all next week. L. and I toyed around with the idea of going with a different company for TV/internet but Comcast is just easier even if they do keep making their guide crappier and crappier every time they claim to "improve" it. I keep hoping that Tivo thing will work out soon so that we can get rid of the "Comcastic" experience, which L. and I both use now as an adjective for things that suck.

Overall, I'm in good shape as far as the packing goes. My bedroom, kitchen, pantry, den, storage, and most of the living room are all packed up. I have a few random things hanging out in the living room, but it's pretty good. The only thing left is the bathroom, and honestly if I don't get that packed up tonight, I may just get up a little early in the morning and finish that bit off or just move it myself later. I'm so tired of packing and repairing and preparing. I can't wait to just be in the house once and for all so I can get back to life as I previously knew it.

Today, I had to hang out at the new house and wait for carpet cleaners to come. Originally, they were supposed to come between 9:00 AM and noon, but surprise surprise, they didn't show up until 2:30 PM. It turned out that the gal who booked my appointment didn't write down the time quote, so they were working me in at the end of the day. Unfortunately, that meant that my previous idea of getting back to Redmond for work in the afternoon and for a workout this evening didn't pan out. So, I ended up taking off the whole day and cleaning the kitchen there instead. The carpet cleaners were really nice, and very apologetic, and they did a wonderful job on the carpets.

And even though I have plenty of things that I need to get done at work, I do feel good about having cleaned the fridge and freezer, microwave, countertops, dishwasher, and sink. The only thing I didn't get a chance to deep-clean was the stovetop and oven. But, considering the heat recently, I doubt we'll be cooking up a storm with either of those two appliances any time soon anyway so I can get to those this weekend.

Speaking of this weekend, L. and I won't be having a typical July 4th celebration. L.'s dad is flying in from Montana on Thursday evening, and L., his dad, my dad, and I will all work on moving Lon's stuff on July 4th. We met one of our neighbors, and he invited us to a BBQ that afternoon, so we'll probably take a break to head over there and meet some neighbors. I'm pretty stoked that the neighborhood seems tight like that. Apparently they have a yard clean-up time once a year for the common areas, and they have this neighborhood BBQ every year for the 4th. So, that's pretty cool. I'd like to know my neighbors and be able to count on someone to watch over the house when we're away and vice versa. My sister, L., is coming down on Saturday to stay over and help me finish up any last stuff at my condo and unpack some things at the new place. God bless her soul for giving up a holiday weekend to come down and help us out. That alone makes me feel so much better. L.'s father will be with us until Sunday evening when he flies back to Montana. So, we'll have some good help this weekend to get as much moved and done as possible.

As I sit here on my couch tonight, I realize that this is my last night in my condo. It's sort of bittersweet for me. I'm very excited about the future, and sharing my life and home with my soon-to-be husband. But I will miss my little place in the world here. I've been here for almost three years now, which seems almost a lifetime considering I'd moved every year since starting college before I ended up here. This has been my home, and when I bought this place I knew that it would be a good place for me to build a new life and heal my heart after the divorce. And it was just that. Plus, the location is amazing. I will really miss being 5 minutes from work, and being able to jump on the Burke Gilman trail to head to Redmond Town Center, Marymoor Park, and Bella Botega in a matter of minutes. Redmond has become my town. So, now I'll have to learn all of the cool stuff about Bothell and make it my town. L. and I will be able to do that together, and that's a great thing to look forward to. Tomorrow night will be my first night in my new home with L.

No comments: