Thursday, March 13, 2008

Music to the ears

Awhile back, I got a pair of noise-cancelling earbud earphones to use with my iPod at the gym. The sound on them was pretty good, but I forgot to turn them off a few times, and drained down the battery that is required to turn on the noise-cancelling function and to really amplify the music a bit. Without that part turned on, the music was pretty tinny sounding and quiet. The other problem is that each earbud had a little rubber attachment that fits into the ear, of which I have lost one of the attachments. The pair came with a few different sizes, and I needed the smallest size to fit into my ear, so once I lost one of the smallest ones, I was kind of up the creek. I can kind of sit the earbud into my ear, but it dislodges pretty easy and no longer really works to keep the noise out.

I've gone through a couple different pairs of headphones over the last few years, and haven't really been happy with any of the ones I've gotten. This last pair was the happiest that I'd been so far, but I hated how the attachments kept coming off so easily, and I knew it was just a matter of time before I'd lose one for good. So, after I lost that attachment on Tuesday evening and couldn't find it anywhere in the locker room, I finally decided to get a new pair of headphones. I'm spending enough time in the gym now that I need good tunes to keep me running and well-paced on the elliptical and stair climber, and I wanted something that would drown out the people who seem to use the gym for social time rather than actual working out. Case in point, last Tuesday night when two women in the row behind me managed to drone on and on about something and cackle away, while every once in awhile managing to actually move one leg or another. Usually I can't hear too much when I have my headphones on, and I don't really mind it when people are actually working out, but these women were pretty obnoxious.

Anyway, I decided to finally purchase a good, quality pair of headphones. L. has a nice pair of Bose headphones that his parents got him for Christmas one year, and I tried them out awhile back. I was really impressed, and decided that I'd get a good pair of Bose headphones, too. So, off we went to Best Buy tonight to get them. But they were out! So, we headed further south and checked out Fryes. Thankfully, Fryes had them in stock, and viola! Headphone city. This pair folds up pretty compactly, and fits in a nice, sturdy case.

We then came home and I started compiling a new workout mix in iTunes. I pulled about 35 tunes into a new playlist, and I'm currently listening to it with my new headphones. This playlist spans all kinds of genres and decades, and every song sounds great! I think these are going to really keep me motivated during my workouts, especially since I won't be worrying about losing earbud attachments.

No comments: