Tuesday, March 14, 2006

The absence of arm muscles

Apparently I don't use the muscles in my arms for - well - much of anything, I guess. On Sunday, L. and I walked the trail around his housing development, and played around with the various exercise stations along the way. They had stations to work your arms, abs, legs, etc. I found that I can't do one friggin' chin-up. I was never good at chin-ups, even when I was in my best physical condition, but I could usually do a few before falling to the floor. Now? Not even one - I did do the one where you just kind of hang there for as long as you can - which admittedly was not very long. Let's just say that I wouldn't be getting any presidential fitness awards at this point in my life.

On the bright side, I still have good ab and leg muscles. This means that while I still can't really lift much of anything (like my purse) today, I was at least able to get my cardio in last night and can walk without looking like Frankenstein. Dance class tonight should be interesting, though...

All in all, this just means that I need to step up the effort with the weights at the gym...hopefully I'll be able to comfortably put my coat on in a day or so, and then I can start building up the muscles in my upper body again.

1 comment:

gcb said...

You know at least two weightlifters, there is no excuse for this!