Saturday, June 13, 2009

Life recap

Sorry, it's been awhile since I've written, mostly because I have been devoid of much free time lately. It's been an interesting month, full of both good and sad things.

First, the sad, so we can just get through that and onto the happy news. Mid last month, we got news that one of my grandfathers was going downhill pretty rapidly. He'd been fighting lung cancer (although never actually a smoker himself) for almost a year before needing to stop chemo because it was too hard on his body. Within a couple of months, the cancer took over his lungs entirely, and spread to his lymph system and throat. This was in addition to a weak heart. L. and I traveled to Eastern WA to visit him on Memorial Day weekend, and he had definitely taken a turn from the last time we saw him over the holidays. He was still mentally there, but it was clear that he was very tired and he was constantly going in and out of naps.

When we left, I had a feeling that it was likely the last time I would see him alive. And it was. He passed away about 2-1/2 weeks later at home with my aunts and grandma. We went back over last weekend for the funeral, and as you'd expect, it was difficult for everyone. We were all happy that he was no longer suffering, but it's always sad to say goodbye to someone you love. During the funeral, I stood up and incoherently blubbered my way through my memories of him giving me his history magazines when I was growing up and the interesting conversations we had. This is a man who made it out of WWII and the Battle of the Bulge alive, so he had stories and then some. Others stood to share their memories of him, and it was clear to everyone that he did so many things for people and shared so much of his life with others that he will never be forgotten.

We went to the funeral home to see him in his casket, and I have to say that I'm really glad I did that. Otherwise, my last memory of him would always be his frail body hunched over in his chair, hooked up to machines and the pulled look on his face as he slept. In his casket, he looked more like he did in better days, and my mom immediately gasped, "he really suffered, didn't he?" She was surprised at the difference between when she had last seen him (also during the holidays) and the way that he looked in his casket. I agreed that he had definitely suffered, and the end was not kind to him. but seeing him in his suit and his face no longer strained went a long way in convincing me that he is in a better place now and no longer suffering from his illness. I could not make it to his burial, being in the middle of the day on Monday, but I came home and made a fresh bouquet of peonies from my yard, which my parents took to the burial. He would have loved that, because he loved plants and flowers, and cared for not only his own yard, but also the yards of his neighbors and his church. I am seriously sad that he fell ill before L. and I got situated in our house, of I would have loved to have him visit and teach us about how to care for our yard and garden. He would have had a lot of knowledge to impart on that subject.

In happier news, I got a new position at work. I'm still writing technical documentation, but I'm taking on a new technology that has to be done from scratch and managing a couple of contractors for the task. It's a really awesome opportunity, and the contractors on this project are really great. I think it's going to be a really good move for me, and something that will make me happier in the long run as this project is full of the kinds of problems I just love to solve.

And finally, this last week, my friend A. from NY came to visit. It was so great to see her and spend some time just hanging out. We always have so much fun together, and she is someone I can be totally sarcastic with, which I love. I took Wednesday off so that we could go do something, and we ended up going shopping and getting our nails done. Unfortunately, in the middle of the day she realized that she was missing her ATM card, so there were a couple of hours of panic as we retraced steps and called to cancel the card. Fortunately, things worked out OK and no one had tried to use the card, so she was able to just cancel it without a problem. We also watched So You Think You Can Dance (known to L. and me as Shobie Doobie Doobie Dance, Dance, Dance) and Extras (with Ricky Gervais), so that was fun. I always like a good reality show and comedy show.

So, that's it for the moment. I'll try to be better about blogging again, but I'm literally doing two jobs right now until someone takes over my old position, which leaves me with little time for anything. But it will be totally worth it, especially since I feel energized about my job in a way I haven't in a very long time.

1 comment:

Ms. McGillicuddy said...

I had such a great time with you! I hope things at work get under control and move in the direction they should. Hopefully I'll be back in town in a couple of months and we can catch up again then!