Wednesday, July 25, 2007

VPL

I had an interesting conversation today with my friend, A., at lunch. She is (probably) moving to LA with her boyfriend soon, and we were talking about where they might look for places. One place they are thinking about is Santa Monica, which I really liked when I went to visit one of my friends there several years ago. She mentioned that she was worried about whether her perceptions would change and she would become more shallow. It's an interesting concern, especially coming from A. who I always think of as being very well rounded and having no reason to worry about her looks or impression on people.

This discussion brought us onto fashion faux pas, specifically visible panty line (VPL). This morning, like every other morning, I looked at myself in the mirror before leaving the house. It was at this point that I realized I had a slightly visible panty line - nothing too bad, but anyone who thought to look that direction might have noticed a slight line. I thought briefly of changing, but then decided to leave it and get my butt to work instead. On the way, I thought about how ridiculous this particular fashion faux pas is. After all, at least I wear underwear, unlike so many misguided celebrities recently. But, A. disagrees. She said that she wears thongs to avoid this particular issue, to which I say life is just too short to have something wedged up there all day.

So, I guess we all have different standards as to what is or isn't important when it comes to appearance. One woman's visible panty line is another woman's deadly sin.

Update
In a slightly related note, see what Natalie Dee posted today on her site (caption is - PANTS: for covering butts):

nataliedee.com

6 comments:

gcb said...

One could also go commando to avoid unsightly lines.

It's kinda strange how for women it's "taboo" to show any evidence that you're wearing underwear yet for men it's "fashionable" to show off your underwear by wearing your pants halfway off your rear.

ar_kay_tee said...

Ugh. There should always be something in between you and your outer clothes. I don't understand that commando thing at all.

That is a really funny point - of course, there was also that phenomenon recently where girls were wearing pants that were so low, you'd see the top of their thong. Oh, so classy.

Author said...

I always thought the visible panty line thing was done purposely.

Thongs are hot. Thongs sticking out over pants are simply out-of-control underware, like having your shirt tail flopping out.

Author said...

By the way, you would understand the commando thing if you had testicles. Thanks Jesus for boxer briefs...

ar_kay_tee said...

Nope - VPL is purely an accidental result of seams on the underwear showing through the pant material. Not an intended thing.

I honestly don't know how you guys wander around with those things between your legs all the time.

gcb said...

I keep mine in my pocket, it's much more comfortable. I can just screw them in as needed.

I never quite understood the thong---how is it okay to wear a tiny piece of underwear but not okay to be nude? Doesn't make sense. Either cover it all or don't cover any of it.