Sunday, September 04, 2005

Shopping therapy

Kati and I spent the day doing some much-needed shopping therapy. We started at the Bellevue mall, where I finally got the Tiffany's 1837 sterling silver T & Co. ring that I've wanted for a bazillion years but could never bring myself to buy. Of course, there are a bazillion other things at Tiffany's that I would also love, but the ring is something that I can actually afford and considering the amount of times I've visited it, I decided to make it part of my collection. I needed a little bling for my left hand now that my beautiful wedding ring is gone (thanks to my soon-to-be ex husband), and I knew that this ring would be a quite lovely gift to myself.

We then headed up to the new Seattle Premium Outlet mall by Tulalip, and proceded to do some wonderful damage there. I got a few nice new outfits for fall at GAP and Banana Republic. Kati spied a beautiful pair of cream and aubergine tweed pants at Banana Republic for me, and I do believe that they are one of the coolest pieces of clothing that I've ever owned. I'm so excited to wear them and feel fabulous in them :) I got a couple pairs of shoes at the Naturalizer store, so they are both comfortable and stylish, which is always a plus when it comes to fashion.

And, last but not least, I bought 2 fabulous purses at the Coach outlet store. Now, normally I wouldn't spend anywhere near what I spent on those two purses. But one is an oversize black leather bag that is perfect for carrying files, books, etc. for work and something that I will probably use for the rest of my life. That makes it a very nice investment piece, and so I think it justifies the cost. Plus, it was from an outlet store, so I didn't spend as much as I could have spent if I had bought it when it was first for sale. The second purse is a good size lavender suede bag with aubergine accents. Based on my wardrobe, this particular purse will be a staple for years to come.

I know that I shouldn't take so much pleasure in material things, but today was so FUN. There is something really great about having the ability to buy some really great pieces that make you feel like the fabulous person that you are. And, since I'm getting my bonus from work in a couple of weeks, I decided that I should spend a bit of that on some nice treats for myself, since the rest will surely go toward earnest money on a condo or townhome in the near future. And, perhaps the best part was coming home after a day of shopping and not having to justify any of my purchases to anyone. I am a self-made, successful woman and I can afford to do something like this every once in awhile to remind myself that I work hard for a living and I deserve to enjoy myself because I only have this one life to live.

No comments: