Saturday, July 30, 2005

Poor Dewey

After writing my last blog about how interesting the internet is, and how it has revolutionized research, I got to thinking about the Dewey Decimal System. Poor Melvil Dewey. I wonder if kids even have to learn about his system and how important it is to the organization of libraries. I remember learning about all of that as a kid in grade school.

But, now whenever I need to find a book, I just search online to find it. In fact, I'd probably be hard pressed to figure out my way around the call number system anymore, and would be baffled by the drawers of index cards with neatly typed information to locate a book. I just don't remember any of that stuff. I've cleared that section of my brain to make way for very important things like the age difference between Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes.

What will our kids know 25 or 50 years from now? Maybe we won't even have books by then. We'll say, "Yes, little Jimmy, we used to have stacks of paper stuck together with typed words to tell stories..." So funny to think about. It will be such a different time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes, the Dewey Decimal System. When I got my Master's in Library Science 20 years ago, we didn't study it even then. Instead, we studied the Library of Congress classification system. Dewey was much simpler, but I think times were simpler then, too. You could readily separate fiction from nonfiction from science from whatever. Now, there's much more blending of genres, creation of subgenres, etc., which explains why the LC system has all of those hairsplitting categories. Luddites for Dewey unite!!!