Friday, July 29, 2005

The internet

The internet is a pretty interesting place. I really like Dave Chappelle's skit about how things would be if the internet were a real, physical place that you could go to...how nasty and weird it would be. That's one of my favorite skits from his show.

Anyhow, one thing that I really love about the internet is how easy it is to research stuff. For example, I recently downloaded Love Rollercoaster by the Ohio Players. I remember my high school band teacher, Mr. H, telling us a story about how you can hear a woman screaming on the track. According to legend, it was a real scream of a woman being murdered. That story stuck with me for awhile.

Now, if I had used my head, I would have realized that was fairly ridiculous. I mean, most studios are so heavily padded that you'd never be able to hear such a thing. However, maybe I thought that the Ohio Players were poor and put the song together in their downtown apartment or something. I dunno.

Anyway, it was a story that I liked to believe because I really liked my band teacher. He was really into the jazz band and the concert band, and couldn't give a rat's ass about playing at the football games. We played only because we were required to do so by the school, but Mr. H saved us from hideous uniforms and ridiculous marching routines. He knew that our lives were more important than making Johnny football player or Chrissy cheerleader popular. We put our hearts and souls into the jazz and concert bands, and just tried to have fun playing for the cheerleaders at games.

But, I digress. After some researching on snopes.com (my favorite urban legend myth debunker), I found that the story about Love Rollercoaster was wrong. But, I'll always remember Mr. H when I hear that song. And now, I'll think about how funny it is that we can pull information up in a split second, whereas 10-12 years ago, I would have had to slug it out in the library to try and find such information. And even then, I probably wouldn't have found what I was looking for because it appears that the truth wasn't immediately revealed (a tactic that was used to increase record sales).

Weird...

No comments: