Monday, October 30, 2006

NaNoWriMo


A friend at work told me about NaNoWriMo, National Novel Writing Month, so I decided to give it a try. I have no idea if I'll get to the 50,000 word limit, but I figure it's a good way to get that "one day, I'll write a novel" thought out of my head and onto paper (or rather my computer screen, but ya know what I mean). If anything, it will get my creativity flowing again, since I seem to get a little caught up in the logistics of writing rather than the craft itself. And the best part is that this is all about quantity over quality, and no one ever has to see what you've written!

Anyhoo, this means that I probably won't be posting on my blog or commenting on my friend's blog entries as frequently during November, but I'll try not to fall off the face of the earth entirely. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Author said...

Awesome. On the other hand, where'd you find the time for that?

I write. I number of prestigious internet forums and chat rooms have considered me adequate enough a word smith to publish my various comments for the world to see. You may know me from such popular posts as "LOL!" and "RFLMFAO!" and "Huh? WTF?!?! Dude, no way!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)"

ar_kay_tee said...

Wow - that's you? I'm so flattered that you commented on my blog! ;)

Yeah, it's not like I have the time to actually do this, but that's kind of the point. If I don't do it at some point, I'll end up 90 years old saying, "I always wanted to write a novel..." So, the combination of one month and the focus on quantity over quality make it do-able. Also, there's no penalty for not finishing the 50,000 words, and no one ever has to actually read your work. So, it's more of an exercise than anything - a way to get started on something. If it works out, cool; if not, that's fine, too :)